Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Saying Goodbye to TV Shows


Tonight saw the season finale of The Biggest Loser and Parenthood. However in the Fall, these shows will be back.

But what happens to shows that don't come back?

The series finale of LOST was on Sunday and it was the topic de jour around the watercooler on Monday. On Tuesday, I said goodbye to Jack Bauer and 24 and a friend (who shall remain nameless) said he got a little misty-eyed at the end.

The series finale of MASH still remains the most watched series finale, followed by Cheers, Seinfeld and Friends. We invest so much of our time and lives into TV shows that when they're over, there's something that is missing.

For me, that show is Gilmore Girls. Tuesday nights will never be the same. I don't know what it is about this show that appeals to me so much. The awesome mother/daughter relationship? The obscure pop cultureal reference? The insane pace of the conversation? Small town (idyllic) life of Stars Hollow? The tension between Luke and Lorelai? Seeing Rory got to Yale and thrive? Through DVD's, I've been able to return to Stars Hollow whenever I want ... and lately, I've been visiting a lot (Currently through Season 3).

2 comments:

  1. without fail, i will always watch SATC reruns when they are on TBS. Aside from that, I'm guilty of RHOOC, RHONY, and yes, RHONJ. i'm such a trash tv slut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's face it TV has lead us through our lives...for me it was the short run of My SoCalled Life, Dawson's Creek and maybe Felicity. Some of these shows watched beside my parents, others with college roommates...all seeming to reflect on one area of my life or another. Maybe that is why we connect with shows, or today with reality TV, are our lives really that borring?
    Thanks for the post!
    Your partner in crime - Starving and Sleepless in St. Louis

    ReplyDelete